Washington State University Navigating Difference: Cultural Competency Training Information
- When: May 14-16, 2019 | 9:00 am – 4:00 pm daily
- Registration: CLOSED
- Location: Seattle, WA: Talaris Conference Center, 4000 NE 41st Street, Seattle, WA 98105
- Cost: WSU $250 | Non-WSU $375 (Cancelation Policy: *Cancelation must occur within five (5) days of registration--Reimbursement will be 50% of the total registration cost at that time.)
- Details: A minimum of 15 participants is required to conduct the training (maximum of 30). Conference includes all materials, 18 hours of training, 3 continental breakfasts, AM and PM snack breaks, 3 lunches, and parking.
- Lodging Options: Participants are responsible for their own lodging: Listed below are two convenient options.
- WSU Navigating Difference Trainers: Merrianneeta Nesbitt, Louise Parker, and Anna Whitehall
Possible Lodging Options:
4000 NE 41st ST. Seattle, WA 98105-5428
Phone: 206-268-7000 Accommodations details: http://talarisconferencecenter.com/seattle_lodging_amenities.php. Conference code “WSU Navigating Difference Workshop” has been set for reservations at Talaris with a special rate of $159 per night. Guests must call for reservations: 206-268-7000. This rate is not available when booking online.
5036 25th Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98105
Phone: 206-526-5200 Conveniently located just one mile from the Talaris Conference Center, hotel shuttles are available to transport guests to and from Talaris during their stay. Each of the guestrooms and suites has complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access, microwave ovens, and refrigerators. A complimentary Silver Cloud Breakfast is offered daily in addition to the newly expanded fitness and business centers. The hotel has a year round indoor pool and spa.
For more details about the Navigating DifferenceTraining format and evaluation, refer to :
- Navigating Difference published in Journal of Extension (link)
- National 4-H Program of Distinction (pdf)
- Overview: Navigating Difference Cultural Competencey Training Overview
- Poster: WSU Extension’s Navigating Difference Cultural Competence Training: Increasing Our Skills to Increase Our Reach Cultural Compencies Poster (pdf)
The WSU Navigating Difference Training is based on the WSUE Cultural Competencies and is designed using key adult education theory and practice that create a safe and welcoming environment for all learners. The learning activities respect and support individual learning styles, and the participants’ life experiences are viewed as an important source of knowledge. The intent of the program is to gain knowledge and skills that can be used when engaging in a new situation/culture, rather than focusing on specific cultural knowledge.
If you are interested in arranging a training for your organization or group, contact: Merrianneeta Nesbitt at firstname.lastname@example.org